Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Out of the Circle Looking In!

Out of the Circle Looking In!

Well it is Wednesday and I am sitting in the backroom of a old auto seat upholstery shop now the community center for Bradley Beach New Jersey and named after my friend Carmen A. Biase. I was being as quite as a church mouse, it was 10 am and sitting around this round table was a group of creative minds, some would say writers other may say storytellers but to me a bonded little family out of a Norman Rockwell Painting.

Today this small group will read stories that each has written about things that come to life with the style of a poet or painter on paper. I have great difficulties sitting still and not talking, some say I need to talk to breathe , today I must think like my grandmother. She once told me god gave me two ears and one mouth so I could hear twice as much. Yes she was right again.

As this circle passes this bottle of rocks the kind you get in the dollar store from one to the other as it was like some ritual but the stories flowed real well and no one hogged the time. As I was sitting looking and hearing the voices of great storytellers I see in my little tiny head the movies as the words were spoken I could see them. The story of the tent inside or was it outside, yes but no one wanted to be in it, maybe a tree would fall on it or a bug would get in and bite, well now maybe I need a tent!

Summer a short but very moving story of a mother of very sweet children and how this writer has become like a grandmother to her and her children and how she does not need a man, How the men in her life have never pulled their weight but yet Summer is strong and a woman with a heart. The writer tells how one day summer needed to go to Connecticut on business but who would watch the children? Yes a light went off in her head her husband, but he never had kids now he was going to take care of 4 of them, Now I know it will work out it did and he still has his hair.

Then a story about snake oil and lettuce and why lettuce is just empty nutrition. Well not all lettuce only iceberg the good lettuce is romaine lettuce but to me lettuce is lettuce but one writer said her pets only eat romaine because it’s good for them, well if it’s good for her pets it’s good for me.

Have a big hard to move couch and a hearing aid keep them apart!  This hearing aid just likes to hide and when you need it to work it stops working or just runs and hides maybe it has a girlfriend or boyfriend and it would like some private time.

Well as time went by and I still had not said a word I learned about the computer that just did not want to write today and why paper was so important to a writer and all about  Harriet May Savitz the founder of this little group and how they got their name The writers of the round table.

Their was also this newbie who I could tell was scared out of her skin she told about how at ten years old she was told shape up or ship out to the nuns, she said good ship me. She told of her life of looking for what she had done and then one day she found out it was not her who did anything wrong, Today was the first day of her new life as a newbie writer at the writers round table.

Well the time was here the stories told, and yes there was more but time has a plan it comes in a little clear water bottle with little round stones and now I must pass it on as Harriet May Savitz said A good writer knows this rule when its time to end it end it!
The groups motto is “Let’s not look back!  Let’s give back!”

August 2011
By Wayne Edward May
Bradley Beach NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment