Saturday, July 9, 2011

History Of Bradley Beach NJ ( We could have been Ocean Park)

History

 

 

Bradley Beach was named after James A. Bradley, the developer responsible for the creation of the Bradley Beach and Asbury Park. In 1871, William B. Bradner, with James A. Bradley as an investor, purchased fifty-four acres of land north of Avon-by-the-Sea, and south of Ocean Grove. At the time the land was part of Ocean Township, this tract later became part of Neptune Township, and was known as Ocean Park.
Citizens appealed to the New Jersey Legislature for a referendum to separate Bradley Beach from Neptune Township, and on March 13, 1893, Bradley Beach was incorporated, based on the results of a referendum held on March 6, 1893. The borough's incorporation was confirmed on March 13, 1925.
It was the first location in the United States to charge sea bathers for beach access when it minted its own tin badges starting in 1929.



1 comment:

  1. William B. Bradner was my gr-gr-grandfather. His daughter, Mary "Mamie" was killed in 1917 when her car was hit by a train. My grandmother, the youngest of 3 girls, was 8 at the time. After Mamie passed away, the Bradner family distanced themselves from Mamie's husband, Joseph Knowles, and my grandmother and her two sisters. Therefore, I have never been able to meet any of the Bradner side of my family. I am attempting to complete my family tree on Ancestry.com. Please contact me at emeyer541@gmail.com if interested. Thank you! Elena Meyer

    ReplyDelete